Mobile Karaoke Hire Header

Karaoke DJ ProDub Licence Explained

Karaoke DJs (and any other DJs) in the UK who transfer their music or karaoke backing tracks from CD to some other digital format, such as MP3 or MP3+G, should hold a ProDub licence.

The MCPS-PRS Alliance manage the ProDub licence and are responsible for payment of royalties to music composers, publishers and writers.

Though the ProDub licence is a relatively new addition to the set of legal requirements for DJs, some venues, as part of their own public performance licence, may check if a DJ requires a ProDub licence and, if so, seek verification that a licence is held. If it isn't, then they could well be refused access to the premises, thus ruining your event.

With the above in mind, it is always worth checking if your Karaoke DJ requires a ProDub licence and, if so, checking that they will be carrying the appropriate certification when attending your event.